Still learning how to skate? Our expert instructors will help novice skaters build essential skills on the ice every Tuesday starting January 9, 2024. These lessons are provided free-of-charge for youth and adults.
Registration for the January 9, 16, and 23 lessons opens on January 3. Registration for the January 30, February 6 and 13 lessons open on January 18.
Spaces are limited; if you register and can no longer attend, please let us know so someone else can have the opportunity.
|Children ages 6-12||6:30pm – 7:30pm|
|Ages 13 and up||7:30pm – 8:30pm|
- Youth classes are only for those ages 6-12. We are unable to accommodate younger patrons due to insurance requirements.
- Parents/guardians must remain at the skate trail with their child for the duration of the lesson.
- If you want to join your child on the ice, you must also have skates on. No boots or other footwear are allowed on the ice.
- Adult classes are for everyone ages 13+.
- Lessons are not cumulative. Please only sign up for one date so that others can have a chance to learn too.
Before Your Lesson (Check-in Instructions)
- Arrive at least 20 minutes early to pick up your skates (if you’re renting from us). If you are bringing your own skates, arrive at least 10 minutes before your lesson so you have time to check in and lace up.
- Lessons will begin on the half hour sharp. If you are not ready with your skates on at the lesson area at the appointed start of your lesson, we will release your spot to those waiting in the rush line*.
- Check in with Bentway staff (wearing high-vis vests) once you have your skates. You will find them beside the trail. Look for the Skate Lessons sign.
- Youth will be required to wear a helmet. Adults learning to skate are also strongly advised to wear a helmet. Exemptions are made for those with religious headwear or with medical exemptions that prevent them from wearing a helmet.
During Your Lesson
- One half of the skate trail will be dedicated to skate lessons, the other half will remain open for others.
- There will be 4-5 instructors present at each lesson.
- Lessons can accommodate up to 25 participants in youth classes and up to 30 in adult classes.
- These are beginner lessons. The first 10 minutes of the lesson will be used to evaluate your skill level. You will be placed in a group with others with similar abilities.
- Skate Aid devices are not used during lessons.
- In the event of a trail closure (weather related or otherwise), you will be notified 3 hours before your lesson via email. You will not be automatically registered for a different week.
- Depending on ice conditions, we may need to pause lessons for the zamboni.
These lessons are very popular and book up quickly. Sometimes, we have limited spaces available day-of if registrants can’t make it. If you were not able to get a ticket, you can join the Rush Line at the skate trail 20 minutes before the lesson and we will add folks to the lesson if space permits. Please note we do not guarantee that anyone from the Rush Line will get into the lesson.