From Here to Wear is an inclusive space where curious, like-minded people can repair, rework and swap clothing while also learning about the impacts of “textile waste”. This workshop intends to promote a reuse culture with our clothing while also offering various activities that encourage more sustainable and intentional creative practices.
A small clothing swap section (Conscious Wardrobe) will be alongside workshop stations that focus on different methods and techniques to transform textiles into DIY plushie (Playing with Scraps), and DIY T-shirt Shopping Bag (Thank you for reusing this t-shirt).
Workshops are free; attendees are welcome to register for one or all sessions.
Please bring up to five (5) items to participate in the clothing swap. All sizes and materials are welcome. Please note that there will be a clothing check to ispect the items. Acceptable clothing items are limited only to shirts/other tops, jackets, pants, skirts, and other bottoms. Shoes, accessories, hats, and other items will not be accepted. Clothing items must be clean and gently used. Exchange will be based on equal value to the number and variety of items brought (ie. 1 shirt can be exchanged for 1 shirt).
Any items are unfit for the swap or additional scraps of fabric can be brought for the Mendables activity. These are placed separately by the Textile Library Lab and are up for grabs with no limit (great for those willing to repair, rework or want to reuse it for a project). Here you can learn and practice making small repairs on your clothing items, such as embroidery and patches, as well as decorate with fabric markers to personalize your style.
Make your own T-shirt Tote Bag or Small Plushie:
Please bring a t-shirt which you can covert into your very own tote bag. You are also welcome to bring your own scraps of fabric to decorate or turn into a small adorable plushie to take home. Additional supplies will be available in a limited quantity.
- PLEASE NOTE: These activities require waivers as they involve the use of sewing machines under guidance and supervision. Participants under the age of 16 must have a guardian or caregiver sign the waiver on their behalf.
What you need to know:
- This workshop is drop in friendly from 1 – 4pm while supplies last.
- The Bentway Studio is a ground-level, physically accessible space.
- All gender and accessible washrooms available.
- Family-friendly. Youth under age 16 must be accompanied by a caregiver.
- No sewing skills required, all levels of experience are welcome.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own t-shirts for transformation and “mendable” clothing items to learn minor repair and recreation techniques.